If you’re running a VAT-registered business, you’ve probably heard about HMRC shaking things up with a new VAT penalty system which started from 1st January 2023. In this blog we are exploring all the need-to-knows so you can ensure you can avoid getting caught out with a penalty.
The Lowdown on Points
First off, the old VAT default surcharge is out, and a points-based system is in. Here’s the gist:
- Late Submission? You get a point. It’s like a yellow card in football but for taxes.
- Too Many Points? You’ll get hit with a £200 fine. The number of points that trigger this depends on how often you file VAT returns:
- Annually: 2 points
- Quarterly: 4 points
- Monthly: 5 points
Wiping the Slate Clean
Got some points racked up? They won’t stick around forever if you get your act together. You’ll need a “good behaviour” streak to reset those points:
- Annual VAT returns: 24 months
- Quarterly returns: 12 months
- Monthly returns: 6 months
What About Late Payments?
Ah, the money part. If you’re late on payments, here’s what you’re looking at:
- Up to 15 days late: No worries, no penalty.
- 16 to 30 days late: A 2% penalty on what you owe.
- More than 31 days late: A 4% penalty plus a daily rate of 4% per year until you settle up.
How to Dodge Those Penalties
- Go Direct Debit: It’s like setting a reminder, but for your money. HMRC takes what they’re owed, and you don’t have to lift a finger.
- Time to Pay: Can’t pay in full? Chat with HMRC about a payment plan. You’ll still get charged interest, but at least the penalty clock stops ticking.
- Appeal: If you think you’ve got a solid reason for being late, you can appeal within 30 days.
The new VAT penalty system is all about being fair. Occasional slip-ups won’t cost you as much, but if you make a habit of it, HMRC will have their eye on you. As always, the best way to steer clear of trouble is to file and pay on time.
PaperRocket are a multi award winning accounting practice, and Accredited FreeAgent Practitioners.
We specialise in providing friendly, non-accounting jargon, services for contractors, freelancers, sole traders, and landlords across the UK.
Our fixed fee monthly accounting packages all include a FreeAgent subscription as standard and unlimited support from your allocated accountant.
To find out how we can help you please get in touch now.